We sifted through thousands of CVs in our time, some good, some not so good!
Everyone has their own tips on writing ‘The CV Which Will Land You That Job’, but we reckon the tips below might stand you a better chance!
General CV tips
- Keep your CV to three pages maximum (where possible)
- Tailor your CV to the position you are applying for
- ALWAYS include a cover letter specific to the position you are applying for
- Detail your achievements in each role rather than just listing your responsibilities
- Be careful when using abbreviations as they can be misunderstood
- Give a short summary about each employer – sector, products or services, turnover, no. of staff & location
- DO NOT use company jargon on your CV
- Your contact information should be clearly visible on the first page. Include your email address & mobile number
- Ensure your CV is typed in an easy to follow format
A cover letter needs to say more than just ‘here is my CV’. It needs to outline why you are the ideal candidate for the job.
Cover letter guidelines:
- Address the letter to the contact detailed in the advert if one has been provided otherwise use ‘Dear Sir/Madam’
- Using the advert pick out highlights from your CV that are relevant to the specific application
- Detail what attracted you to this position and outline why your feel you are a serious contender